Diagnosing Parkinsonian Syndrome and Essential Tremor
A doctor usually diagnoses a PS or ET movement disorder based on the following information:
- Medical history: It's important for your doctor to know your complete medical history, including any conditions that run in your family, any head injuries you may have experienced, and any medications, supplements, or vitamins that you take.
- Your current symptoms: Tell your doctor about all of your symptoms, no matter how small. Make sure to mention when they occur and how often. Download a doctor discussion guide to help prepare for your appointment.
- Physical examination: Your doctor may ask you to move in particular ways in different positions, draw or write, or observe how you walk across the room.
- Blood tests may point to, or help rule out, other conditions that may cause your symptoms
- Imaging tests, such as a computed tomography (CT) scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan, or SPECT/PET scans may be used to look for brain injury, including stroke
Next: Talk To Your Doctor